Posted on May 16th, 2013
I absolutely love everything Mexican..the vibrant colors, friendly people, spicy food, guatemalan avocados, beautiful pottery, stunning beaches etc. Mexican cuisines is one of my favorite. I love going to Mexican restaurants where the atmosphere is fun, energetic and vibrant with mariachi music playing in the background. I can gorge on the freshly made guacamole with some extra lime and chillies topped over corn chips for hours. It is an ideal way to spend an evening and catch up with friends over some great Mexican food served with lots of horchata and margaritas.
I have been meaning to host a Mexican theme party for long and would love to recreate that fun atmosphere with some vibrant decor. I recently tried making horchata at home and turned out great! After the success of horchata, next was margarita. I love a good margarita..everyone’s favorite fiesta beverage. Now that summers are fast approaching, nothing like an icy, citrusy kick of a margarita.
Makes 4 – 6 ounce Margaritas1 cup fresh grapefruit juice
1/4 cup blood orange juice
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup tequila, silver 100% agave
1/2 cup Cointreau/triple sec (you should not be trying to go upscale by using Grand Marnier (orange-infused Cognac) because the flavor is too heavy for cocktails)
1 to 2 tsp agave (optional)
Club soda (optional)
1. Slice off a small piece of lime and run the wet edge of the slice along half of the rim of your glass. Dip the top of the glass into the salt at a 45-degree angle and roll it from side to side to catch the salt. Consider lining the rim of just half your glass with salt so you can control how much salt you taste with each sip.
2. Place glasses into freezer to chill.
3. Fill a small cocktail shaker with ice. Pour the tequila, grapefruit juice, blood orange juice, agave if using, lime juice and Cointreau. Put on the lid and shake for 30 seconds. I am adding blood orange for its sweetness and color but if your grapefruits are sweet and ruby red color, then you could skip the blood orange.
4. Remove glasses from freezer and strain the liquid into your glass over ice.
5. Add soda water if you prefer some fizz. I love it.
6. Garnish with lime slices or grapefruit/blood orange slices.
And now some exciting news..a GIVEAWAY!
I love good cookbooks and have a fabulous Mexican cookbook to give to a lucky reader. Mexican- healthy ways with a favorite cuisine by Jane Milton has many wonderful authentic recipes..love the Eggs Rancheros and Carnitas recipes from this book. Don’t miss it!
HOW TO ENTER
Required Entry: For a chance to win leave a comment below, whatever you’d like. (The required entry must be done otherwise any extra entries will not count.)
WANT MORE CHANCES TO WIN?
PLEASE REMEMBER: Leave a separate comment for EACH of your entries or only one entry will be counted. If you already follow me on Twitter, Facebook or Pinterest, let me know through a separate comment, since this counts as an entry.
Giveaway starts on 5/16/2013 and will run until 6/12/2013 at 11:59 pm GMT.
The contest has been closed now and the winner will be announced shortly.
The winner of the contest is NEHA G!!!! Congratulations!! Pls send me your address so that I can ship this yummy cookbook to you as soon as possible.